Are you a sushi expert or are you still new to this popular (and delicious!) Japanese cuisine? By all means, I’m pretty sure you can relate to at least a few of the thoughts I listed in this post!
The past years I have tried quite some sushi restaurants and I’ve developed my own sushi habits over time. Still, I keep catching myself thinking the same random stuff and I always keep an eye out for what the people around us are ordering. I wrote down all the thoughts that passed my mind during last saturday’s sushi dinner.
Thoughts when eating sushi
- There we go! I hope we get that one table we had before.
- Aww, look at all these people who are almost done eating. Poor souls.
- Good table, thank you. Yes, we already know how this works. Just give us the tablet so we can order!
- Round one! Time to spam order lots of nigiri! Two salmon, two tuna and a sweet omelette – go!!
- Wow, these people right next to us ordered so much. And there’s only two of them, how are they going to eat all of that?
- Is that guy over there using a FORK? Weakling..
- That soy sauce looks so good.. Let’s dip the chopsticks into it. And now lick it.. Mmmm..
- Did she just say ‘rolls’? They’re called maki! Know your sushi, woman!
- Ah, there’s the first order. NO WAIT – DON’T EAT YET! *grabs camera*
- Please, stop staring at me while I’m taking pictures of my food from every possible angle. Keep eating your food, thank you.
- Now I gotta grab my chopsticks like a pro. Oops, almost dropped it! Act cool – this never happened! Got it! That was a good recovery. Almost made myself look like a fool there.
- Why. Does. This. Nigiri. Keep. Breaking. It’s obviously the chef’s fault. He prepared it wrong.
- There we go! Now dip into the soy sauce – aaaaaand it broke. Now there’s rice floating around in my soy sauce, great.
- THIS. STUFF. IS. SO. GOOD.
- Oh, they have strawberry nigiri on the menu.. Silly Westerners.. But I’m going to order them anyway because they’re too good. Just don’t tell the Japanese – shhhh!
- Ha! Look at that girl struggling with her chopsticks. Newbie.
- Thirsty. So thirsty.
- Hey, what’s that?! What did they order? It looks so good! *dives into the menu*
- Wow, these two maniacs next to us ate everything already! How?!
- And there comes their next order. Another big one. I’m not judging, no I’m not.
- Oh, I know this waitress! She was here last time too, and the time before, and the time before that time, and – … wow, we eat here often.
- Why are they getting so many makis and nigiris on one plate? I want that too, it’s perfect for pictures!
- Yay, more food!
- Awww, we get different plates. I wanted those Instagram-worthy plates. Bummer.
- Oh no, it’s that waitress again! Hope she doesn’t recognize us. Awkward!
- Yes sir, I’m taking pictures again! Judge me, you nosey!
- Oh, this meal is a tricky one.. *mentally prepares to smoothly pick it up with the chopsticks in one try*
- I’m a sushi pro. Admire me.
- *dips chopsticks in soy sauce again* Mmmmm, salty goodness.
- Ah, that soup looks so good! And look at that cute Asian spoon that comes with it! I want to order it for the spoon…
- I’ll just order soy beans. Not because I like the taste of it that much – just because they’re fun to eat.
- I want to marry this sushi roll.
- Do these women next to us ever stop eating?!
- Order chicken. All kinds of chicken. Yakitori sauce on top.
- It’s taking so long. Did they forget us?
- Mmm, why are there still people on earth who don’t like fish? Silly persons.
- I’m so full, but I won’t give in. I’m strong. There’s always room for dessert.
- Make that three desserts. I mean, we cannot skip the ice cream because that’s part of eating out. And the sweet buns are delicious and you can’t get them anywhere else so we OBVIOUSLY need to eat those. The crème brûlée looks so good, I can’t ignore that!
- Wow, those two next to us were already here when we arrived and they’re still eating! What?!
- Let’s get out of here, before my stomach explodes.. I’m never doing this again.
Now that I’m listing all these thoughts down, I’m noticing that I judge people – a lot! Oopsies, haha! :) All jokes aside though, these really are the things that go on in my mind during a sushi dinner. And even though I always end up thinking ‘I’m never doing this again’, we always come back! ;)
What’s going on in your mind during your sushi dinner out?